- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 4 pieces of streaky bacon, chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. mixed spice
- ¼ tsp. ground chilli
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- ½ crown pumpkin, scooped and peeled and roughly chopped (Option to use a whole butternut, peeled, scooped and roughly chopped)
- 1L vegetable stock
- ½ cup EasiYo Natural yogurt
- Handful chopped parsley (optional)
You can up the ground chilli to 1/2 tsp if you want more of a kick.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottom saucepan on a low heat. Add onion, garlic and bacon. Sauté until onion is translucent and bacon is browned.
- Add dry spices and sugar. Stirring continuously, cook for about 4-5 minutes, coating the onion and garlic well.
- Add chopped pumpkin (butternut). Stir in and coat in the spices.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until pumpkin (butternut) is tender
- Remove from the heat and blend either in a food processor or with a stick mixer
- Add yogurt and chopped parsley (if desired). Season to your liking.
Serve hot with some crusty bread or croutons. This recipe produces quite a large amount of soup which can be frozen and reheated.